It’s so exciting when a new fluffy member joins the family. But all too often, the new puppy does not receive the correct training or conditioning when they are young, which can lead to problem adult dogs. Dogs with behavioural problems become a nuisance, and many dogs are euthanased at welfare centres and pounds every year.
But, you have made the FIRST crucial step in ensuring that your puppy receives the best possible training that he/she can have!
The Purpose of Puppy School
Believe it or not, dogs are a socially sensitive animal. Many experiences that they have early in life may affect them for the rest of their lives, well into their older years.
The best possible benefit that your puppy will gain from puppy school is socialisation skills. Dogs learn from each other how to behave, and it is up to us to give them as many possible chances to help them adopt an acceptable relationship with others, including humans. By introducing your puppy to new experiences when they are in the ‘sensitive period’, you are helping them to develop into calm and well behaved adult dogs.
As well as socialisation, Puppy School covers basic obedience, animal nutrition and health and most training is reward based.
After Puppy School has finished, it is up to you to keep up further training and positive reinforcement.
My Puppy Is Naughty! Please Help…
Puppy School aims to help you cope with problems that you may be encountering with your new puppy, including:
- Toilet Training
- Jumping Up
- Many More
If at all you are experiencing trouble with training your puppy, or you have further questions during or after Puppy School, please don’t hesitate to ask your Trainer for help. We are here to help life with your new friend go as smoothly as possible!
What to do now?
- Book in for a class! Call the vet surgery on 4698 7309 to make a booking.
- When you arrive at puppy school, you will need to fill out the registration form and pay in full for the course.
- Bring a suitably sized flat collar & lead. Choker chains are not suitable for puppy training, as we implement ‘positive’ rather than ‘negative’ reinforcement.
- You will also need to provide all documents of vaccination history. If your puppy has been vaccinated at the Eclipse Park Veterinary Surgery, we will already have the vaccination history on file. All vaccinations must be up to date.
- As part of the course, all puppies will receive flea and tick prevention. Owners are responsible for ensuring your puppy is up to date for intestinal worms’ treatment. Ask if you are unsure.
Our Puppy Preschool Class is a 5 week course and costs $100. It is run on a Saturday morning from 8am – 9am. The class is run by our DOTA qualified dog trainer, Kym Greaves.
We provide an effective Puppy Pre-school program for all of the puppies that visit our clinic. With our progressive and positive learning techniques you and your puppy will learn about:
- Basis obedience.
- Puppy handling.
- Voice control.
- Food refusal.
- General information ect.
The most important thing about Puppy Pre-school is 'start early'. Waiting too long can allow behaviour problems to establish which then require more intensive training to overcome.
For our next starting date and more information, please call us on 4698 7309.